Monday, August 08, 2005

Take a Risk ... Don't waste your soul!

I have this new friend who is my designated "culture buddy." Or something like that. She's from Michigan and has been here for a year so she's trying to build up some local friends and so far I'm one of them.

Two weeks ago we went to see Reprise! at the Ford Ampitheater. (Which is where the first Wicked concurrance occurred.)

Friday we went to see The Aristocrats (which I hadn't really heard of prior to her request to see it). It was laugh-out-loud funny but please don't take your parents. Awkward moments! I tried to explain some of the muffled foreskin singing to Queen Barb the next day and she made a face like, "Please stop. Please stop. Please, why do you think its OK to tell me this?" Basically... if you find humor in things like incest, poop-eating and anal rape... remember, I said I laughed "ALOUD." Funny! Some people did leave after the first twenty minutes. The rest of us wallowed in it. The card trick, the mime, Christopher Walken and Liza Minelli were the best.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Last night we went to try "frozen custard" at Lickity Split's on Hollywood Blvd. at the Egyptian theater. Frozen custard... eh! Tasted just like ice cream to me. The treat, however, was the cones (chocolate cones, chocolate cookie cones - like the bottom of Mud Pie!, pretzl cones, chocolate chip cones and M & M cones). After that we went to see My Date With Drew at the Arclight - my first time there. Turns out the Drew crew was there - Brian (the dater) and the two buddies that made it with him. I'm wondering if they're just going to every screening because it wasn't a scheduled Q&A event but they are doing a bunch of appearances at the Arclight. Anyway - the movie was ADORABLE! And I can connect to the movie makers in like 2 steps (through Hollywood boss and a place I temped at). (Which puts me at 4 steps to Drew.) (And now I have to rent Grease 2.)

Today I spent working on a sort of spec writing assignment (which relates back to afore mentioned possible musical project). So I spent the day at the Westside Pavillion... strangely a large hub of noise is much better than a semi-quiet room with nearby screaming children. (I hate the neighbor kids at home.)

Tomorrow Culture Buddy and I are going to a free screening of Pretty Persuasion ... which is again at the Arclight. I'll let you know how that is (if we get in line early enough). The current comparison is a cross between HEATHERS and ELECTION - both good movies.

(Meanwhile... if you're wondering why I'm occasionally linking to strange things like "open letters to Bob Connolly", watches, car insurance and drug recall notices... its because some dude is paying me 5 bucks a link.) (I'm trying to make it interesting for you though.)

No comments: