Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Birthday luxuries...

My parents have apparently decided that the easiest thing to give me as a gift is a wad of cash. For Christmas I received a "Money Machine" (along with some other choice friends) which was filled with U.S. cash taped together with some good ol' gift certificates thrown in the midst. There are still some of those certificates that I haven't used yet and I only recently settled on what to buy with the greenbacks - my very new and very cool 10 disc CD changer for my car. (Which goes by the cute nickname "10 Disc CD Changer". For example: "Erin, what is that blue glowing thing?" "Oh that is the control for my 10 Disc CD Changer!" or "Have you heard the new Anna Nalick cd? I've been listening to it on my 10 Disc CD Changer.")

For my birthday I received an envelope with 2 fifties in it. Normally (as per the 10 Disc CD Changer example) I would hold on to the money and debate about what to buy for months..... and months.... This time, however, I knew almost instantaneously what I wanted! I visited several stores to see if I could find something to top the expensive model I wanted (since the expensive model is cool but not very visually exciting) but nothing could compare. So today Miriam joined me as I ventured to Brookstone and picked up this beauty:



My thoughts were "I like to read and write while sitting on the bed. I'm constantly at a loss for a well-positioned light. The pillows are never comfortable. I also like to have a beverage when I'm reading/writing and sometimes window-sills are just not convenient." I rationalized the purchase well. In fact, I used to sit up on my previous bedrest (a.k.a. "Husband") and have a small bucket next to me which held my books, book light, water, pen, etc.. I slept with that bucket next to my head for at least a year. This item has convenient pockets! I will be able to live and sleep like Erin... but in more luxury. I will feel rich! (Considering the thing was $125.. I better damn well feel luxurious and rich!)

When I walked out of the store Miriam took one look at the giant picture of the bedrest with cup-holder and remote pocket and said, "This is a new unemployment low."

2 comments:

Taysha said...

#1 How Erin is that thing?
#2 Did they have it in green?
#3 That IS a new unemployment low, can we contact the authorities?
#4 Does this mean you are never leaving your bedroom?
#5 Read your email?

Erin said...

No - this was the big debatable concept about the whole thing. It did not come in green! I almost bought a fuzzy furry grass-green husband from Linens & Things... but it was really the damn cupholder and book light that sold it. Beige is boring and it's not entirely huggable with its hard pieces but it does have that sort of "calm" look.

And I don't really have a bedroom. But if I did... it would be an acceptable office.