Friday, September 16, 2005

Thumbsucker

Last night I saw a free screening of Thumbsucker (which is one of those movies that I'll mildly enjoy but I might find GENIUS after I read the novel its based on). It was cute... I thought the plot was mildly vague. The presenter compared it to Napoleon Dynamite (hate that movie) or Garden State (mildly enjoyed). Of the two it was definitely more like Garden State with a Real Women Have Curves ending. (What is about 'moving to the big city' that makes everybody free and happy??)

However this isn't a review! This movie stirred up some memories and so I decided to list a few of them.

But first:

Hello, my name is Erin, and I'm a recovered thumbsucker. I was a thumbsucker until I was 16. (Yes, it's true!)

That's one of my many kept "secrets" (of which I have no real kept secrets because at least one person knows every one of my secrets since I can't keep secrets).

Unlike the Thumbsucker character, I ONLY sucked my thumb at bed time and ONLY with my special knit "blankie" with the Tweety Bird on it.

And now... memories:

- The disgusting tasting thumb method of cutting the habit - I *think* I remember that method being used on me. At least I remember that there were occasions when my thumb didn't taste so good and that there might have been a specific evil reason for it.

- When my parents renewed their vows and had a proper wedding ceremony (I was about 7) they hired a cleaning service to come in and scour the house (where the reception was being held). This was when Blankie 1 disappeared!!!! Being me and knowing that my parents didn't want me to suck my thumb anymore - I accused them of paying the maids to discard my blankie! (More likely they probably thought the tattered thing was a rag and took it with them.) I was DEVASTATED!! I couldn't sleep for days!! I needed some kind of replacement but HOW COULD MY BLANKIE BE REPLACED?? The answer - #2 Blankie. This was actually it's name. Had it a birth certificate it would read "Number Two Blankie Lillis." #2 Blankie was #1 Blankie's first cousin. There was a bigger, fuzzier 3rd cousin but he didn't slip so well between my fingers and thumb. You see I needed to Smell the blankie while I sucked. It was the soft blankie and the dryer sheet smell that calmed me to sleep. (Please don't ask.. I don't know the psychological reasoning behind it but yes, I'm sure it had to do with being weened from the breastfeeding too soon or something.)

- Once I was finally used to it, #2 Blankie was THE one and only acceptable blankie. My mother would often steal the blankie (after laundering it) and hide it in her room. I remember going on several blankie hunts but always finding the blankie in the end. (My nights were really sleepless when I didn't have it.)

- I recall that when I was a bit older my mother and I sat down and had a discussion (let's say I was 10) about giving up the blankie. (I'm not sure if it was really the blankie they wanted rid of or the thumbsucking as well.) Knowing how badly I reacted to the original blankie disappearing and the tantrums I'd throw when she'd steal it - this time she folded it neatly, put it in a paper bag, sealed it. labeled it with a Sharpie (Erin's Blankie) and put it in my closet. We decided that, yes, it was time to give up the blankie. I would try to sleep without it... but if there were an emergency I'd know where it was. I think I made it one night without #2 Blankie before I ripped the bag open.

- I remember being self-conscious of my sucking thumb because the nail looked a little different. It was always shorter than the rest of my nails and a little softer (as you can well imagine).

- At some point it became a "fuck you" to society. I had several thumbsucker friends... and slowly they were giving it up... until by highschool I was the only one that I knew left. When going to the dentist they would tell me about my overbite and ask why ... I would always lie and say "I used to suck my thumb."

- Thumbsucking was one of the slew of reasons that I never really cared for sleepovers... I was too embarassed to bring my blankie but couldn't sleep without it.

- What finally had me give up the habit was distraction (or so we'll call her for the blog entry). It became an off and on thing and the moment I realized that I could actually fall asleep without the blankie I would sleep with it near me... or do a "sleepover" without it... or keep it under my pillow. And the thing is that I couldn't suck my thumb without the blankie... so the thumbsucking just fell by the wayside. It also occurred to me that I just couldn't do it anymore by the time I got to college so it was time to cut the habit on my own. (You see when it was MY decision - it worked.)

- And as a "just in case"... I believe I did take a patch of #2 Blankie with me to college.

And though I did eventually get some orthodontic work (but not braces) - I never bothered to fix my thumbsucker's overbite.

1 comment:

Taysha said...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry... I'll laugh!!

I NEVER sucked my thumb. i sucked my thumb AND my index finger at the same time. Fit both in my mouth and sucked on them until I was about 10, just when sleepovers were all the rage and it was WAY hard to hide it. I, too, had to have minor orthodonia work (retainer) but no braces.