Thursday, September 01, 2005

Sage Words

As you may have noticed in the longish post previous (written as my mother) - I recently uncovered a pile of dirty magazines while working to tidy up my parents' garage. ("Dirty" as in there is dirt and dust and mouse chew holes in/on them.) The stuff I'm going through is large trash bags full of my old toys and belongings that were dragged out to my garage by two people hired, by my mother, to bag it all up and toss it out of my room when I was a preteen. I was supposed to go through it then... but you know... procrastination. Now most of it is just going directly into the trash since a lot of it has been pooped on.

But these magazines are gems!! They hold enormous value to society and history and yet they're too worn and dirty for eBay. So I've decided to go through them and pull out some of their sage words and humorous (in retrospect) quotes, document them in this blog and then toss the zine!

The first contender is the June 1990 issue of "The Big Bopper."

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Immediately I giggle because there is a front page headline which reads "WHY DOESN'T CHAD ALLEN HAVE A GIRLFRIEND?" (This is funny because Chad Allen is now "out.") I flipped open to find out "why" and found that I had previously cut out that page. (This is going to be one of the problems with this interesting project because half of these magazines have been "clipped" to fill my Fred Savage shrine binders and my New Kids on the Block files.)

But I DID manage to find this goodness in an article about Tom Cruise:

"Fifteen-year-old Chad Allen is also a fan of the July 3, 1962 birthday celebrator. 'I really look up to Tom,' reveals Chad as he points to the Risky Business and Top Gun posters hanging on his bedroom walls. 'Tom is young and he's done so many great movies, I'd like to be in a movie with him someday.' "

No comments: