Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Update 2 - Bridges

Have I mentioned "Bridges" before (other than in the last post when I mentioned Emily - the 20 year old novelist)? I can't recall.

Back when I was doing the production for a Self Expression and Leadership Program (which was AFTER I was coaching... basically I was the setup, breakdown, pass out homework, make photocopies girl) I was invited to participate in one of the coach's projects. (As you may recall - in that class you create a community project - mine was the project for animal cancer awareness.... other projects included things like AIDS Lifecycle and St. Baldric's Day and the Revlon Run/Walk ... and etc.) Andy was/is her name (not to be confused with the Andy whose cat, Tova, is being babysat by my parents).

Andy's project, later named "Bridges," was a group meant to "bridge the gap" between older and younger lesbians. We've now had about 5 or 6 meetings (since February) and its actually pretty interesting. I, as some of you know, consider myself a little homophobic, (again with the irony!) so it was something I challenged myself to do. Interestingly enough - I get along just fine with the "over 40's"... but its the "under 40's" that make me all weird, quiet and socially anxious.

Anyhoo - I'm the official e-mail/communications captain for the group (and recently.. logo designer).

The day after the real-estate expo was our first "outing"... we went to a park, had a picnic, attempted to fly kites and threw around a softball. I learned how to catch with a mit... I can actually do that! And I swung the bat and hit quite a few of the pitches. (I'd only ever previously batted at a mini-golf batting cage once.) I'm learning to be appropriately gay!

This last weekend was supposed to be my first trip to a PRIDE event - Long Beach Pride. But at the last minute I chickened out and used the $20 admission fee as my excuse to not go.

However.... if Andy plays her cards (and applications) right... I may be IN the L.A. Pride parade marching next to her convertible and advertising "Bridges." Holy shit.

The other thing I've gotten out of Bridges is my writing-buddy, Cassandra. She's 70 something and we've been sending snippets of writings back and forth and working on some writing exercises together. We haven't actually worked out a method of buddy-ing though... so its just e-mails back and forth with no integrity held in check yet.

No comments: