Monday, December 19, 2005

Steal that mutha - Jesus H!

'Tis the season for the holiday party, tacky christmas garments and the "unwrap the miscellaneous present and then steal it" game.

Tonight I found myself at the house of a former high school friend for a two-hostess party which was literally around the corner from my house. (I MapQuested the directions and was informed that it would take me "0 minutes" to drive there.)

Lelian (house owner, high school friend and hostess 2) was attired in a billowy white blouse thing (it's winter Lelian!) while she floated from guest to guest and did, at least once, try to get me to say two words. (Little did she realize that she just had to pour the champagne a little sooner.) (As soon as I'd had two glasses the tale of the Indian dot in the bathtub came out... good times were had by all! I'm so not PC.)

Lisa (hostess 1 and high school friend) wore a wonderful Christmas vest with snazzy reindeer adorning it. She figured she was a teacher and teachers wear those sorts of things. (The week prior I'd been in Old Navy with Miriam so that she could find an "un-teacherly" Christmas outfit to wear in front of her high school students.) (Side note: Did you ever realize how young your high school teachers were???)

And I in my kerchief... wore the tackiest set of things I could find which included a Paul Dini's "Jingle Belle" t-shirt (a freebie from my old job), two red socks (which didn't match), green jeans (army green... sorta didn't count), a literal jingle bell ornament (tied to a necklace) and a lovely Christmas tree broach (snatched from my mother's jewelry cabinet). With this ensemble I won the "Best Christmas Outfit" prize. (Lisa, with her vest, was not a contestant since she bought the prize - a blue cross ornament with the word "Peace" on it.) (Did I mention that we all went to the all girl's Catholic school?)

(I was dismayed, however, because I had a great tacky sweatshirt that I'd "donated" to Goodwill last year. Lost opportunities!)

Then came the present game! I, myself, had donated two "white elephants" to the grab bag - a "French writing portfolio" and an ice skating fabric snowman (both things my mother handed to me to regift). My friend Monica brought a purse that said "I Love Me" filled with questionable items leftover from a bachelorette party. Lisa supplied the gift section with a wide selection of empty, but pretty, (but empty) boxes. Other items were a mish mash of unwanted gifts and party favors.

When it was my turn I stole a lovely heated lotion dispenser ... which was eventually stolen from me. I, in turn, just HAD to have the below item. Somebody gave it to Lelian as a housewarming present (price tag intact) ($10.99 if you're curious) and she just sorta had NO IDEA what to do with it. I suggested it was for washing the feet of your guests. (Catholic humor.)

My favorite part about the item is the absolutely horrified/appalled look that people are giving me when I pull it out of its box to show it off. (And these are church-going folk!)

WHY did I steal it? So I could blog about it. But now that I've blogged about it I don't know what to do with it.

I think I'll put it on the porch filled with some lovely palm fronds.

6 more days until Jesus' birthday! ;)






No comments: