Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Camera Phones & Their Merit

Today I came home and found myself trapped in the driveway afraid to move because there was an excellent picture waiting to happen. If I moved - I knew I'd spoil the moment so I whipped out my cell phone and called my father who was in the house.

ME: DAD!! COME OUT HERE WITH YOUR CAMERA AS FAST AS POSSIBLE!!
DAD: Why? What's happening?
ME: Just come out here with your camera!!
DAD: OK but I'll have to load it.
ME: HURRY! Grab my camera. It's ready. Just come now!
DAD: OK

By the time he emerged (with his camera) - it was too late. DRAT! I need a camera phone!!

But what he missed was this (try to visualize it in your mind) -

J.T. (Julian Threadgoode, my russian blue cat) was sitting on the cement driveway behind the black wrought-iron fence with the low sunlight glinting off of his pet tags. He stared, rather blankly, at me and then continued to scan the driveway, the neighborhood, the cars driving by on the free entrance which runs past the end of my cul de sac street.

At the top of the fence - just above the "Beware of Dog" sign (which still hangs there despite the fact that my dog has been dead for almost 2 years) - was an old chunky squirrel perched on the curve of the fancy part of the gate. He stared down at J.T. while the cat pretended not to notice and his fluffy tail matched the gate curve perfectly.

IT WAS GREAT!

AND IT'S GONE!

The squirrel eventually did run off and J.T. couldn't give less of a crap. They're probably friends. This is probably the same neighborhood squirrel that once bit my mother on the finger - leading her to call animal control to ask if she needed a rabies shot. (The laughing responder said "No but HOW did you get bit by a squirrel???" She'd been handfeeding it nuts and it got a little overzealous with its chewing.)

1 comment:

Marlena Hall said...

You should really turn on word verification for your comments!!

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the merit of camera phones, I now have one and have used it in a myriad of ways to capture things that are probably better left unseen...