Sunday, November 20, 2005

Moment of Awkward Humor (brought to you by the Brady's)

So Friday night I go out with Miriam and her sisters (plus two German foreign exchange teenagers) to see Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Now Nora, Miriam's middle sister (24), works for the Loyola University of New Orleans (her alma mater) as a student recruiter for the music school. And she was, up until a few months ago, living in New Orleans.

After the movie Miriam notices Nora's blouse and says, "I have a blouse just like that. In fact... I haven't seen that blouse in a while! Did you take it?" (Followed by a "I'm just kidding, OMG!" face directed towards Nora.)

Clare, the youngest sister (16 years old) starts laughing and pointing at Nora and making a "Ha Ha! You got caught stealing!" face.

Nora put her head down and mocked an "I'm not entertained" expression before she looked at the both of them, whipped out her Katrina card and said, "You realize you're making fun of someone who lost all of their clothes in a cataclysmic flood, don't you?!"

Then there was silence as this was not funny.

Now I don't mean "not funny" as in we all took a moment of silence to feel bad for her. I mean "not funny" as in her comedy really needs work because at no point was anyone making fun of her. Rather there was an implied fictional situation that was on display as the "funny." She whipped out the Hurricane card for nothing... obviously she'd been waiting for the opportune moment and she wasted it. Poor Nora.

(On a sidenote: I looked up "cataclysmic" on Dictionary.com just to make sure I was using it correctly and noticed that one of the definitions of "cataclysm" is "devastating flood". So when I say "cataclysmic flood" am I really saying "devastating flood-like flood"?)

No comments: