Friday, July 01, 2005

Birth

Today I watched the Nicole Kidman movie "Birth." I've decided that this movie was in fact named "Birth" because it is chock full of the "pregnant pause." I'd venture to guess that 50% of this movie is silent as everybody reacts in dramatic pause to something that's just been said for a good 2-3 minutes each time.

There's a famous scene in ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST where the camera stays in a close-up on Jack Nicholson for one full minute. I think BIRTH's goal was to beat this record.

Briefly the story is about Nicole's reaction to a 10 year old boy who shows up and says he's her dead husband reincarnated. It's like CHANCES ARE without the humor (and the creepy wrong ending).

So here's a recap of the movie:

10 Year Old Boy: "I'm Sean"

Nicole: "You're not Sean."



10 Year Old Boy: "I'm Sean."

Nicole: "No, you're not."

10 Year Old Boy: "I'm your husband. You're my wife."

No comments: