Thursday, March 31, 2005

Dumb it Down

Taysha pointed out that as far as the blog was concerned - I was still on Class 3 of Creative Writing.

Let's bring you up to speed then:

NON-FICTION/ESSAY:

Assignment 1: Pick an object out of the box and write what it leads you to write. I picked a Chinesy tassel thing and wrote about a diner in Chinatown in Boston. The goal was to give the teacher an idea of our style.

Assignment 2: Write a piece about an object of your choice that brings to mind a memory and try to use the object symbolically. Also try to play around with perspective. I wrote about a dog collar and putting my dog to sleep in 2nd Person.

Assignment 3: Write a description of a place using lots of descriptive adjectives and adverbs, invoking the senses, and as few "to be" verbs as possible. I wrote about my parent's backyard - describing it as a fantastic battlefield.

Essay Assignment 1: Write a 2000 word non-fiction essay of your choice involving memoir. There were several suggestions including writing about memories that aren't yours.. like your parents meeting... or something like that. Using quotes from my grandfather's journal I wrote an essay comparing my grandfather in his 20's to me in my 20's.

FICTION:

Assignment 4: Write a scene in which the weather is a force against two people or symbolic of the relationship between two people... generally - the weather affecting people in some way. I wrote about a gay couple living in a drought area... going through a sexual drought.

Assignment 5: Write a character description in a way that reveals the wants of a character and the forces or characters acting against them without stating it. I wrote a description of "Adam" told in the voice of "Lucifer" which serves to characteristically describe Lucifer and God.

WHICH IS WHERE WE ARE NOW (I don't know what number class it is anymore.)

So far the consensus is that I'm sometimes too vague and I'm getting the point that I should "dumb it down."

ALL of these pieces are still in a "workshop" draft - we're supposed to revise them all one last time for a final portfolio thingy later.

No comments: