Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The Prep

I sought advice and I hath received advice regarding the bluing of my hair! The gist, as I understand it, is that I have to bleach the hair to make the doohickers rip open so that the stain-like fancy colors have something to hold on to. Something like sanding the wood before you paint it - OK I can grasp that!

But with only a few available late night hours before my movie extra debut on Monday - this did not leave time for another trip to the Beauty Supply (or a Hot Topic) for some bleach and a new batch of Manic Panic (or whatever I found to replace it). Instead I headed to the 24-hour Sav-On's and looked for "something funky" that "might work in a pinch."

I found this: L'Oreal's "Color Pulse" Mousse in "Funky Cherry" and the PRICE WAS RIGHT! (It was like 2 bucks.)



Funky Cherry was, alas, the funkiest color in the drug store. (OK so there was something called "Blue Denim" but that was 5 bucks PLUS I needed the 15 dollar bleach before that would even bother looking stupid).

Well - I took it home and applied it around midnight and while it was doing its thang I painted my fingernails a nice metallic blue. AND the mousse-dye took to my pre-existing (and I guess "faded" per my advice givers) highlights quite nicely. It'll wash out in 8 to 10 shampoos - so I won't be too stuck with it and I can give the bluing another shot later. Then I straightened out my Silverlake haircut and I was Good To Go!

Sunday night I accessorized and plotted out the "outfit" for my extra appearance - this consisted of my Funky Cherry red hair (mother is referring to it as "Maureen O'Hara Red" but I'm not sure), an eyeball necklace (I heart eyeballs), an Ankh necklace (I don't even know if this is mine but it was in my jewelry box so I went with it), a purplish earring stud (for those of you not in the know - I only have one pierced ear - I only needed one earring), a yellow ringer tee (they requested some colors other than black), some black jelly bracelets leftover from my "goth" costume from a few years back, my new "Brad" bracelet from N.I.C., my new "Dinky Dean" Neighborhoodie and some black eyeliner. Never before hath I lined my eyes - so that was interesting.

Then I checked my e-mail once again, got all the good parking info, got the very important message that I was allowed to sleep in a little AND was now going to be given $25. for my participation (not needed but a nice bonus) and went to bed! (Not promptly but eventually.)

Next blog... the tale of being an extra.

No comments: