Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Bloggin' the Vote

So I had to vote before work (which begins at 7:30 in North Hollywood) and got to my polling place at 7:00 (in Monrovia) when it opened. Miriam followed shortly behind.

The line was only about 20 or so people deep. There was one panicked polling lady that couldn't seem to find the names when they were read to her (one person to take your signature, and two other people to verify you or something). Hopefully she's calmed by now.

I don't like InkaVote! I've done it once before but the fat barrel-width thing gets stuck in the hole when you punch it through. If they made it JUST a smidgen smaller it would be fine.

I actually did screw up my ballot when I didn't turn my sample ballot page and marked all "Yes"'s on an all "No" page.

Why is that voting in movies and on television seems so much more glamourous than my polling place? My "voting booth" was some corrugated plastic on some flimsy plastic blue legs...and NOT very private.

But I have submitted my votes!

Overall, I've been maddeningly cynical and though WANTING to get active in election protection and pro-Kerry stuff... I haven't. The most I've gotten out of my comfort zone (which is still a plus) is by putting a Kerry/Edwards sticker on my car (mind you, its taped to my inside window so I'm not the geek with the four year old bumper sticker years from now) and by sending a "Why I'm Voting For Kerry" snapfish album to people. Then I got a little e-mail "into it" when a "friend" responded that he was voting for Bush. That's about it. OH and actually I did do a whole bunch of e-mailing to senators and calling radio stations and whatnot on behalf of MoveOn.org and MarriageEquality. So I guess that's something.

Last night I watched the Eminem video - I hope that motivates some people.

Oh and I got to work by 8:10 where the bosses were eager to hear if I had any troubles or conflicts! Nope... just my own lack of attention problem. I'd say my biggest voting dilemma was over Stem Cell Research which kinda creeps me out but could benefit people I know. Oh and I couldn't figure out the 3 Strikes Proposition thing so I just voted No because Miriam's dad advised once, "If you don't know what to vote, just vote No on a proposition. They're all written bad anyway." Sounded wise.

No comments: