Friday, February 04, 2005

Lists

I have several lists that I occasionally refer to in conversation. These aren't actually lists that are written down but, rather, are stored in my head for access later. Some of them I only expect to access after I die (like my list of world mysteries that I'd like solved... what happened to Chandra... JonBenet...Nicole Simpson..etc.) but others are active. (I'm sure you've heard of "the list" that many people refer to...like "such and such celebrity is on my list"... I have one of those too.)

This is my short list of ancient/retired/old-fashioned/British phrases I'd like to incorporate into my daily vocabulary:

Fortnight - two weeks; 14 days
Example: It's been a fortnight since I've seen you last!

Tick - a second, short bit of time
Example: I won't be a tick!

(I'll add more later as I can't think of them all now.)

No comments: