Tuesday, October 07, 2008

When I was in sad... Engrish cheered up my mind



In Tokyo Lesley and I found this awesome Engrish sign on the wall in "our" station (Nishi-Shinjuku). It was one of the few Engrish signage things I actually found ... most of the random-ass Engrish was on t-shirts and everyday fun items. Well, it turns out that this sign is one of many - it’s a whole campaign of happiness and thanks to Gabriel I was able to see these alternatives:







Now those are entertaining (I think) but most of my Tokyo hilarity came courtesy of the junk souvenirs I bought. (I regret that I sent some out to friends and DIDN’T write down what they said...I should have captured those for posterity! Dangit!) Here are some gems that I KEPT FOR MYSELF:

Fucuckle!! No idea what that means but shout it with glee, my friends! Because the Make-U-Happy Kaori Doll is here! Not much makes ME happier than tiny little smiley black things with skulls.




What does make me happier than scary little wish dolls?? Trees! Definitely, hands-down, trees. Trees help me out when I’m in sad.


But every now and then trees can’t cheer me up and I get down and my muscles get sore. But that’s when I resort to the healtiness of the Pocke-Bow hook.

The plastic massage hook makes me feel safe and cared for somehow.



But the ABSOLUTE BEST PURCHASE I made in Tokyo was this amazing technological invention:



Say it with me... VIRTUAL BUBBLE WRAP!!! Bubble wrap that you can NEVER FINISH POPPING!!! (Unless the battery dies.) This not only has the tactile sensation of popping a bubble wrap bubble - it also makes "the sound." And if you push on it enough - every once in a while you unlock a secret sound. Puppy barks, bells, fart noises. It. Is. Never. Ending. Joy! You can see how much joy it brings just by looking at the packaging!

(I know. You’re jealous.)

No comments: